EDIT: Made it to the front page of HAD http://hackaday.com/2008/11/15/microcontroller-fireworks-launcher/
So on a slight upgrade from my last launcher I made a new model rocket/Fireworks launcher using an Arduino microcontroller . This project was inspired by this wireless fireworks controller and this microcontroller rocket launcher . I really did not want to dedicate my launch device to any one specific role since celebrations are far apart and model rockets are somewhere near the middle of my list of hobbies. By combining the two different devices together I was able to achieve what I wanted. Most of my original drawings are found here…
I was going to use the ATmega32 microcontroller because of its quantity of digital I/O lines but settled on using an Arduino Diecimila for prototyping and RBBB for implementation. Keeping things simplistic but still allowing a workable user interface I decided on only using 4 buttons and 2 switches.
The ATmega168 only has 14 digital I/O lines and I will be requiring at least 1 for each switch and launch terminal. Two 8-bit shift registers give me 16 terminals and are super nice because in order to operate both you only have to sacrifice Three pins. Here are some things I wanted to include
Here is the finished prototype. Basically this is just a proof of concept and also it allowed me to finish the software prior to installation. You can see the black 16pin shift registers each broken out to LED segments. The yellow chips are 330 ohm resistors.
I finished the transistor board after lots of soldering. Each output from the shift registers are connected to the Base of the Transistor through a 1k resistor and each pin has a pull-down resistor as well. Instead of using one power source, the terminals will be broken up into four power sources. Two 9 volt batteries in series will feed each section of 4 terminals. Eight batteries for the launch system and two more for powering the microcontroller, LCD screen, LED’s and etc. To help take the initial shock current off of the 9v batteries each of the four sections has a 4700uf cap. The smaller cap is part of the 5v regulator system for all the controls.
Using an old floppy cable I connected the transistor board to the Arduino RBBB. And then some more for connecting up the switches, buzzer, led’s and LCD screen. All that is next is to wire up the terminals to the transistor board and then mount it all in its case.
Well wire that up and get some more batteries.
After acquiring the batteries and finishing up the wiring I started looking for a case. I knew that I wanted something pelican-esk. I found this Plano waterproof case at Academy Sports an everything fits inside perfectly. The next problem was what to use for the lid to mount the switches to. Three walks around my house landed me with some plywood, Plexiglas and a clipboard. The clipboard almost fit to begin with so I chose to use it. After some hot glue here is the result.
I had to recess the top piece down some for the red arming switch to clear the case lid. I really like the looks of how this turned out.
The launcher booted up and armed, ready for launch. I should probably mention the two momentary push button switches to the right of the LCD screen. I used some felt with sticky on the back to cover them up and still show their location. I would probably use larger push buttons that were mountable if I had to do this over again. Also each launch button (bottom left and right) have built in blue LED’s which didn’t show up in this picture.
Steps to get to the launch screen include:
Inside the case the first thing to notice is the battery array. Two for each terminal and two for the launch system. Hot glue was mainly used to hold things together but some other reinforcement will be added before this sees field use. A short test of each terminal and all buttons and this is ready to see its first rocket or firework.